Sadhguru, a renowned Indian yogi and mystic, has spoken extensively about the benefits of using handloom products made from natural fibers. Here are some of his key points:
Ethical and sustainable production:
- Handloom products are made by skilled artisans using traditional techniques that have minimal environmental impact. This contrasts with mass-produced clothing, which often involves unsustainable practices like resource depletion and pollution.
- Supporting handloom weavers can help preserve their livelihoods and cultural heritage, which are threatened by the dominance of industrial textile production.
Natural fibers for well-being:
- Sadhguru emphasizes the importance of using natural fibers like cotton, khadi, and silk, as they allow the skin to breathe and promote overall well-being. He believes that synthetic fibers can disrupt the body’s energy flow and contribute to discomfort.
- Natural fibers are also generally softer and more comfortable on the skin, especially in hot climates like India.
- Sadhguru encourages mindful consumption, urging people to buy fewer clothes but invest in high-quality, ethically made pieces that will last for years. This not only benefits the environment but also supports traditional artisans and creates a more sustainable fashion industry.
- He emphasizes the importance of appreciating the craftsmanship and story behind each handloom product, rather than simply focusing on trends or price.
Overall, Sadhguru’s message is that using handloom products made from natural fibers is not just a fashion choice, but a conscious decision to support sustainability, cultural preservation, and personal well-being.